POSITION TITLE: Museum Curator, the Rosenbach
REPORTS TO: Curator and Director of Collections
STATUS: Full-time, exempt
DUTIES: With colleagues, provide general care, management, and interpretation of the collections at the Rosenbach and, occasionally, at the Free Library of Philadelphia. Specific areas of responsibility include, but are not limited to development and execution of exhibitions and other collections-based projects; working with the Director of Collections in matters of collection development; conducting research on the permanent collection and potential acquisitions; assisting relevant staff with collections-related grant proposals and other fundraising; collaborating with registrar; to maintain and develop objects catalog and day-to-day oversight of period room installations. Communicate about installations and collections as required with staff and guides. Assist the public by answering collections-based inquiries. Be involved in the activities of relevant regional and national professional organizations. Contribute to the collections department’s web presence on the Rosenbach website and blog. Work with special collections colleagues at the Free Library of Philadelphia on exhibitions and other projects. Perform all duties according to best practices for museums and libraries, with reference to the Rosenbach’s policies and procedures, and with the goal of fulfilling the Rosenbach’s mission.
OUTLINE OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversee the development, scheduling, and installation of changing-exhibition components of the Rosenbach’s period house and library.
- Work with other Collections staff to select topics and schedule temporary exhibitions.
- Develop and execute temporary exhibitions at Rosenbach and Free Library based on original research, including label copy, layout etc.; oversees designers, installers, printers, and other consulting professionals, oversees exhibition budgets, and assists with fundraising.
- Work with other Collections staff in preparation, installation, and deinstallation of exhibitions and displays in galleries and period rooms.
- Assist Education department as needed with programs and publications related to exhibitions; presents public tours, programs, and guide education as required.
Collections Information, Management. and Development
- Work with Registrar to add to and refine object cataloging (using Museum PastPerfect software).
- Perform research on under-researched areas of the collection to improve catalog records and object files.
- Update room-book entries using Museum PastPerfect database reports as needed.
- Write and circulate updates on newly installed objects and rooms to staff and guides through established channels.
- Answer collections-based inquiries as assigned.
- Assist Director of Collections with cultivation, research, and processing of potential gifts to the collection.
- Assist Director of Collections with research required to support potential purchases for the collection.
- Provide support for Rosenbach Library staff in special projects related to care and storage of library collections.
- Assist Collections and other staff in movement of objects within the museum.
- Assist as needed with processing and packing loans.
- Act as courier of objects outside the museum as assigned.
- With Registrar and Facilities Manager, maintain temperature/humidity data on collections spaces, using HOBO datalogger system
- Work with Rosenbach Facilities staff to schedule and document routine care and maintenance of storage areas and period house.
- Work with Director of Collections and Collections staff to develop and implement budgets for collections activities; assist Development staff with collections-related grants and fundraising.
- With oversight of Marketing staff, contribute to the presence of the collections on the Rosenbach’s website and contribute to the Rosenbach’s blog and other social media.
- Assist Director of Collections and Rosenbach Librarian with general Collections projects and routine departmental work.
- Attend professional conferences and training opportunities to enhance knowledge of best practices in both museology and specific subject areas within the collection.
- Assist other departments with collections-oriented tasks and information.
- With other staff, attend and staff institutional functions as required.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Collections or the Director.
Skills and Experience
- At least an MA in an academic area pertaining to an area of the Rosenbach’s collections (e.g., English Literature, American History, Art History, European History, etc.: see our detailed list of collections areas) or Museum Studies;
- At least 3 years of curatorial work in a museum environment with exhibition experience;
- Rank will be determined by educational background and level of experience
- A good relationship with audiences, both in person and through the written word;
- Detail-oriented, creative, disciplined, visionary, with a good sense of humor;
- Our collection spans from antiquity to Modernism. We seek a self-starter, who is also a team player; an intellectual generalist and quick learner, who can work across time periods and media, but who also has a depth of expertise in at least one of the areas in our collections. Be willing and able to work with consulting curators and artists who aid us in interpreting our collections. Reading knowledge in a foreign language is helpful.
This position has a Full Benefit Package: Health, dental, life, and disability insurances; flex benefits and retirement plan; generous leave time allowance.
To Apply, please e-mail cover letter and resume with “Museum Curator” in the subject to: [email protected]