Dr. A.S.W. Rosenbach formed a highly important collection of early American Judaica. He gave the bulk of this collection to the American Jewish Historical Society (AJHS) in 1931. Nonetheless, signiﬁcant Judaica remain at the Rosenbach, including several Hebrew incunabula, the Amsterdam Haggadah of 1695 (the ﬁrst with a map of the Exodus), and the ﬁrst Hebrew grammar printed in the United States (1731). Correspondence in the Rosenbachiana collection documents family members’ participation in organizations ranging from Philadelphia’s Congregation Mikveh Israel to the AJHS and the American Friends of the Hebrew University.
The Rosenbachiana collection encompasses books written by or owned by Philip and A.S.W. Rosenbach, a limited amount of family materials, including papers and photographs, and the archives of the Rosenbach Company, which the brothers ran from 1903-1953. The archives’ stock ﬁles, purchase and sales records, correspondence, and ﬁnancial records, supplemented by a collection of 13,000 book auction and bookseller catalogs, are an important resource for tracing the formation and dispersal of many important collections, and for the study of the American antiquarian book trade in the 20th century.
This guest post is an excerpt of “Dr. Rosenbach, Robert Burns, and The Interleaved Scots Musical Museum: Song Collection and Bibliophilia” by Steve Newman, Associate Professor of literature at Temple University. It’s always exciting for us to read about the discoveries made by researchers! To make an appointment in our reading room, click here. Robert Burns devoted …